Sunday, October 26, 2014

one month mark

This past friday marked four weeks at my new job. After some reflecting, I realized that I learned a lot in four short weeks. Time has absolutely flown by. Although I am certainly not claiming myself to be an expert in career growth and development (quite the opposite), I want to share some of the things that I've learned to do in order to grow in your current position.



1] If you don't know, don't ask...yet. I am slowly adopting this mentality. At some point, your manager wants you to be self-sufficient, for the most part. I certainly encourage asking questions when you begin training, however, at some point you must figure things out for yourself. Chances are, you have the tools you need to solve the issue. What I mean by "don't ask...yet," is the notion that if you're struggling with a task, think through it logically, look back on your notes, and use every mean that you can to solve the issue at hand. Then, if you cannot do it yourself, you can ask someone. By forcing yourself to figure it out alone, you are learning more than you would if someone simply told you what to do.

2] Be nice to everyone. The doorman/woman, the building manager, the stranger you run into in the hallway. Smile at everyone and always be courteous. You never know who you may be running into, or if you'll be collaborating with them someday.

3] Get to know your co-workers. Too often people fall into the "can you do this for me?" or "you need to complete this" mentality. Which is completely normal in a work setting. However, I encourage you to get to know your co-workers on a personal level. Get to know what they like, their family, what their weekend plans are. This creates a more human element to the relationship, which I think boosts both parties' productivity. You might have more in common with your colleagues than you thought.

4] Learn about other departments. It will help you learn more about the company than what you would learn from keeping in only your department. A week ago, I was interviewing someone for an internal story I was writing. I simply wanted to know some information on an event, but the person I interviewed actually ended up teaching me so much about a product line that we carry. It was awesome, and I left the interview with a greater knowledge of something that can ultimately help me do my job better.

5] Give your brain a break, and go out and do things during the weekday. Whether you plan dinner with a friend, a movie night with your boyfriend, or simply shopping at the mall alone, get out and do something during the week. This allows you to break up the week and refuel. I find that if I sit on my couch after work, I feel unproductive and lazy. Planning these things keeps me active and simply makes me feel good!

6] Buy a steamer. I can't tell you how many times I've woken up in the morning and realized that the outfit I so carefully picked out the night before didn't appeal to me in the morning. So, back to the closet I go. Most of the time, the button down or blouse I want to wear has a few wrinkles in it, but I don't have enough time to iron it. So, I switch on my steamer, and in about 1 minute the water is boiling and ready to steam. It might sound silly, but it's a lifesaver for rushed mornings. Plus, you'll head to work knowing that you look polished and professional.


What has allowed you to be successful in your career? Comment below! Or, let me know if you are interested in this type of blog post!

xoxo,
G

4 comments:

  1. Does that steamer work well?! I've been looking for one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does work well! It's not the absolute best, but it works for me!

      Delete
    2. I have totally used these tips as I get acclimated to this new company. Love your stuff G. Keep it comin! You rock

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you found these tips helpful, Chris! Thanks for reading, YOU rock! :)

      Delete