Monday, February 16, 2015

playing tourist in my own city: hotel monaco

There are few things I love more than exploring old and new places in the city that I call home, Pittsburgh, Pa. I like to think of it as playing tourist in my own city. A few weeks ago, some co-workers and I headed downtown for a networking event at the newly-opened Hotel Monaco. I was in awe of the super-chic, colorful and quirky decor, as proven by my three Instagram posts that night. [Isn't there an unsaid rule against that or something?] This is not your cookie-cutter, run-of-the-mill hotel; it had a very uniquely grand feel.



The colorful floral chandelier was so perfectly perched above the hotel lobby. Is this fixture to die for or what? I pretty much need one for my apartment, even though something tells me it wouldn't quite fit. Also, take a peek at the tufted yellow couch in the background. Swoon.


I had to take a photo of this book, because obviously. As you can tell, no detail was overlooked in the lounge areas. Beautiful artwork on the walls, gorgeous patterned rugs, and coffee table styling. This was a form of heaven for me.


We decided to ride the elevator to the top floor, in search of the penthouse suite. The geometric carpet mixed with floral wallpaper in the hotel halls were perfect. The added pop of color on the doors had me sold! Even the bathrooms were gorgeous, and I don't think I've ever called a bathroom pretty before.


Much to our surprise, we actually did get a peek at the penthouse suite [we think]. Because this was the week of the hotel's soft opening, some items weren't fully complete yet - like the knobs on the double doors of a room at the end of the hallway. Naturally we looked through the hole and snuck a few pictures, and I dreamed of one day staying there.


There were countless other areas that I wanted to photograph, but I didn't want to look like too much of an overly-excited tourist. If you decide to go, I promise you won't be disappointed. Needless to say, I will be paying Hotel Monaco another visit in the near future. I am dying to go to brunch or happy hour at the hotel's restaurant, The Commoner, so be sure to keep a look out for that post in the future!

Do any of my Pittsburgh readers have favorite places they've visited recently? Please let me know in the comments below!

xoxo,
G

2 comments:

  1. Love this greta! Literally if I make like Sia and swing from the chandelier, it needs to be this one in Hotel Monaco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If any chandelier were fit for swinging from, it would most definitely be this one. P.s. - we're brunching here soon, k.

      Delete